Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Update on the Science Experiements

The cream cheese turned out better than I had thought it might. In fact, it is wonderful...sweet and creamy, almost too rich to eat but I think we will manage somehow, just in small amounts. maybe I'll make a cheesecake. That is what someone who lives with me is hoping.

The beans? A total disaster. They not only smelled awful even after rinsing more times than I counted, but after 5 hours of cooking, they were not getting the least bit soft. We put them outside to cool and Stephen threw them over the back fence into the woods.

6 comments:

lime said...

so, uh...whats' the reaction of local wildlife to the beans? that's the real test ya know. ;)

Brave Sir Robin said...

You win some . . . . .

thailandchani said...

You made your own cream cheese? I am amazed!

Unknown said...

I don't know lime. Hopefully it will keep racoons away for a while and not bother the cows and deer.

Yep, and the cream cheese was a big win. It was my 3rd attempt. I think the starter may have been old the first 2 times. I got a fresh batch from New England Cheese Making and I kept it in the fridge most of the time and put in in the garage which was a little cooler than the house for a few hours. Then I figured out how to drain it in the garage fridge so I kept it cool as much as possible. It is soooo yummy!

The Minstrel Boy said...

i'm digging through my card boxes, somewhere i have the recipe from sardi's for cheesecake. classic, untrammelled, unsullied, new york cheesecake.

with cream cheese that delightful i would recommend a minimalist approach.

when i find it i'll post it and let you know.

Unknown said...

Thanks, mb. I have been looking for such a recipe. In the past I have used sweetened condensed milk in my cheesecakes. Then I tried making them with my home made ricotta and they got really grainy by the next day. I want to do a really great one with this cheese since I don't know if I will be able to make it again until the weather turns cool here again. I'll be looking forward to the recipe.