Wednesday, November 28, 2007
The game is at the bottom in the center of the page.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
This year is a little different. I have a chicken roasting in the oven and will roast or saute some of the vegetables from last Saturday's trip to the farmer's market. Since I made mozzarella a few days ago, I had whey with which I made bread yesterday. I have been doing this on a regular basis because store bought bread has way to many things in it that I can't pronounce and the last loaf we bought stayed in the cabinet for a month without going bad. That scared me!
I found meyer lemons at the farmer's market and Mistrel Boy reminded me of this recipe that I had been wanting to try whenever I was fortunate enough to find meyers. I had tried making a Shaker pie years ago with a recipe that I had come across somewhere. It tasted like citronella and left me thinking that I would never make another one. I have to agree with MB. It Rocks. Out. Loud.
I cheated on the crust but the rest of the recipe is exactly what is on his site. Next time, I may put some candied ginger in it or substitute some ginger syrup for part of the sugar.
soundtrack: Joel Raphael's Lemon Grove or anything from his Woodyboye or Woodeye cds 'cause it is good to remember that not everyone is fortunate enough to eat like this.
Monday, November 19, 2007
I have been trying to include at least something local in every meal. This has meant making an effort to get to the farmer's market every Saturday. Last night a friend came over for dinner and most of my haul from the farmer's market was sitting on the table. It is just to pretty to put in the 'fridge until I have to. Most of it won't last long enough to need to be refrigerated anyway. My friend said that I should take a picture of it and I decided that she was right.
I have been overjoyed to find so many fall tomatoes. We had very few this summer due to too much rain. I have eaten so many that my mouth has gotten sore and I have had to stop eating them. I got some last Saturday anyway along with baby eggplants, various colors of sweet peppers, apples, and Meyer lemons grown only a few miles away. I also scored some wonderful oak leaf lettuces, sweet basil and garlic. I missed out on eggs and mushrooms this week. When I got there just after 11:00 they were already sold out. Oh well, there is always next week.
If I really did not want to get out to the market, I could have Greenling deliver local organic produce to my door. We can also get locally produced olive oil, although right now it would be cost prohibitive to buy enough for cooking and soap making. Texas wines have come a long way in the past few years and if we chose, we could get as much wine as we could drink from no more than 70 miles from home and not feel deprived. We don't drink enough wine to make that an issue. Wheat is also grown here but I am not sure where it is processed into flour so I will do the best I can for bread making.
Of course, the best way to 'eat local' is to have a garden of your own. So far, I have not had a place to do much of that. I hope to remedy that in the next year or two. In the mean time, I have a blast at the farmer's market where I can take Lani if I choose and listen to live music while munching an organic pastry as I do my shopping.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Stomp the Devil
2. Another church sign: Jesus is your only life insurance.
(Does he work for Allstate? Prudential?????)
3. Yet another church: Eternity:Smoking or Non-smoking?
4. Another: Give Satan an inch and he'll be a ruler.
5. Yet another: Stop, Drop, and Roll doesn't work in hell.
(How does anyone know?)
6. Another church:Forbidden Fruit Creates Many Jams
7. Common on several church signs that I have seen:Join us for a new beginning
(Can one have an old beginning?)
8. On a plumber's truck: We'll get you out of a jam
9. On a porta-potty truck: Austin Outhouse
(This one is not really so goofy but it pains those of us who have been here long enough to
remember a really cool club by the same name.)
10. Hair salon: Mane Event
11. Another hair salon: Scizzors of Oz
12. Anther hair salon: The Greatful Head
(This could also be on a porta-pot is any one ever thought about it.)
13. A steakhouse that is now long gone: A Raw Deal
Just thought of the perfect soundtrack for this post: Berkley Hart's 911 Jesus
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
The fairies have lived high in the branches during the summer sheltered by thick leaves. As the days have grown shorter, the leaves have begun to fall affording less cover for the fairies. They have been slowly moving down to their winter home at the base of the tree and under its roots. Lani is keeping a sharp eye on their movements through the space at the bottom where the trees have stayed just far enough apart to remind themselves of their individuality.
I think the fairies have enchanted her because she cannot stay away from the trees. She is so obsessed that she can hardly stay indoors long enough to eat. As soon as we open the door for her, she races around the trees to look into the hole from the other side then creeps back around to look in from the side nearest the house. She will chase the squirrels who are feasting on the bumper crop of acorns but always comes back to the patio where she lies on the concrete and stares at the gap between the trees. We have peered into the gap many times and can see nothing. However, if I listen closely, I can sometimes here the faint flutter of tiny wings.
Soundtrack for this post: Into the Mystic, Van Morrison
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Friday, November 2, 2007
Thursday, November 1, 2007
2. It can make people think you are a negative person.
3. It can make you feel that you are a negative person.
4. Focusing on negative aspects of a situation attracts more negativity to the situation.
5. Focusing on the negative aspects of a situation may very well attract more negative situations.
6. It's a waste of energy and you often feel guilty about it later.
7. Complaining about what you don't have just emphasizes to your self that you don't have it.
8. People get sick of listening to you complain.
9. You get sick of listening to yourself complain.
10. Getting sick of listening to yourself can cause you to actually get sick.
11. Most of the time, things are not as bad as we make them sound like they are.
12. Focusing on the negative makes it easy to overlook the positive.
13. It really is not very much fun. It does not make you feel good and
nothing is more important than feeling good.