Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Are We Really This Greedy?

I have been working with the Law Of Attraction since before I had a name for it. The essence of the Law is that we are in some way responsible for everything that comes into our lives. ( Living and working with it is a little more complicated than that, but that is because we make it so.) In theory, this means that GW, the war in Iraq, the mortgage crisis, etc. are manifestations of our consciousness. Of course, so are beautiful music, flowers, great food and all the other things that we love. One of the ways that I have been using this information is by becoming aware of what I give my attention to. Because of that, I have given this story the least amount of attention that I could manage. I have focused on a good outcome for everyone involved. While it seems that there has been a positive resolution for the family involved, I am still appalled by the sheer greed of the corporation I usually refer to as 'the Evil Empire'. It appears that the corporation had to become fearful of the negative publicity it has been receiving due to the major media finally picking up the story and publicly shaming it before it was willing to reverse its direction in this matter. In reading the company's comments, I couldn't find anything that remotely says that the people directly responsible feel any regret toward what this family has been put through or that they are taking steps to make sure that this does not happen again. I wonder how many other people have been treated this way and the media either never found out or did not report it. At any rate, critical mass as to what our society will put up with in the amount of greed targeted toward individuals in such a blantant manner appears to have been reached. I hope that other corporations which have been engaging in this behavior sit up and take notice. In the meantime, I am sending am email to my congressman asking that he consider introducing or supporting legislation to stop this.

Soundtack to this post: Stephen Taylor's Better World

5 comments:

FriĆ°vin said...

Speaking of the Evil Empire, I never shop there. In fact I refuse because there are plenty of other options in this city, but I pity people in small towns who have few (if any) other options.

My mother lives in such a town and a local guy who is always doing good deeds for the elderly gave her a $200 gift card for W-M on her birthday last year. A week or so later she took it to church and slipped it back into his hand. It's not that she has anything against W-M, but she really doesn't like feeling like a charity case. He told her if she didn't take the card, he was going to send it to one of her boys. I'm not sure if she believed him or not.

I got the card in the mail around the end of December right after I lost my job. I haven't used it yet but after 3+ months of unemployment I'm thinking of suspending my boycott for a day.

After all, THEY already have the money and it wasn't mine. I'll just go and collect some goods. How's that for rationale? :lol:

With any luck, I may be able to find enough stuff I want or need that isn't made in China.
That remains to be seen.

Unknown said...

That would be quite a delima for me, receiving a gift certificate from there. I think I would donate it to some organization that could use it but I'm not sure who I'd want to do that to. You are right, they already have the money.

lime said...

i.do.not.grasp.this.mindset.

what have we come to?

The Minstrel Boy said...

attract this sistah

much better than anything found at walmart.

The Minstrel Boy said...

when you're done with the cheesecake we want pictures. it's only fair.