1. Austin sits on a fault line knows as the Balcones Fault. We have actually had earthquakes but the most recent ones have been in the panhandle and did not seem to be related to the Balcones Fault.
2. A lot of the city sits over caves. That is right, caves. We don't think about it very much until someone gets lost in one.
3. The 3oth Parallel skirts the southern most part of town. (Some maps make it look as though it runs right through my house.) It also runs through the Great Pyramid.
4. The downtown hotel where I work is haunted.
5. Although Austin is known far and wide for its live music scene, it is also the breakfast taco capital of the world. You can get both at the same time if you know where to go.When people move away from here, breakfast tacos are usually high on the list of things they miss most. It seems that in South Austin, there is a taco trailer on every other corner. We is damn serious 'bout our breakfast tacos.
6. South Austin is hippy central. We call anything north of where Loop 1 and 183 meet "North Dallas."
7. Loop 1 is referred to by locals as 'Mopac.' This is because it runs along the Missouri Pacific railroad tracks.
8. Manchaca is pronounced "Manchack".
9. Pecos is pronounced "Paycus".
10. I can't phonetically spell the way Pedernales is pronounced.
11. Our mayor's name is Will Wynn. Can you imagine running for office against someone with that name?
12. Austin is now the 16th largest city in the nation after having at least doubled in size in the past ten years.
13. Real estate here is no longer all that much cheaper than California.