Monday, April 2, 2007

Our New Neighbors


We are being blessed with presence of a pair of red tail hawks who are nesting somewhere near by. The female is the largest hawk I have ever seen. The male is somewhat smaller. We think that the nest is in a tree that hangs over our garage. We hear them calling and screeching as they defend it from crows and other would be predators. We have spotted a nest high up in the tree on the side away from the woods. It will take more observation to be sure it is where they are nesting. They also spend a lot of time in a tree in the yard of the house two lots to the north of us.

We moved into this house two weeks ago. Our large backyard backs up to a dense wood. The house was built in a grove of live oak trees, which surround it, letting very little sunshine into the yard. Although there was much sadness and distress here for many years, the trees and the grove have a magically peaceful feel. The arrival of the hawks reinforces the feeling.

I have always had an affinity for hawks. They are my primary totem animals and I am always more “me” when they are around. I will try to get some photos of them and of the fledges if possible. Maybe they will leave me a feather or two.

3 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Oh, my. I just did a post about totem animals on my blog.

We are connected.

I love hawks, too, and can easily see that you would have a special affinity for them. And they for you.

Beautiful post, Jackie.

Susie said...

Wow, what a beautiful picture of the Hawk!!!

I'm from a little town called Hawk Point. Hawk Point is on a prarie and legend has it that all of the hawks in the trees on the outskirts of town are old Indian spirits looking after their land. I understand why you have an affinity for hawks; they are beautiful, powerful, and mysterious creatures.

Unknown said...

heart,

yes, we are

susie,

it is a great pic but I did not shoot it. I've had it so long I don't remember where it came from. I like the legend about the Indian spirits.